Hi all, as well as continuing to support existing members and improve the quality of our coaching and member support, our key objectives for 2018, as set out in the committee's annual strategy, are around:
- Improving the diversity of membership (incl ethnic minority, junior and paratriathlete membership)
- Increasing awareness of Windrush in the local community
- Getting more people participating in the sport.
One of the key pieces of work we've planned towards these objectives is a 'Intro to Tri' course to help overcome barriers and fears people might have about doing their first race, and that would culminate in a small race we would put on for those attending. We've been working with British Triathlon Federation to roll it out, but they've had to withdraw from the plans.
We would still like to continue with our plans but unfortunately no-one on the current committee has the time to make it happen. I am happy to put together the training course but do not have the time to speak to potential attendees to find out more about what stops them being active, advertise the course and deal with incoming queries.
Would you be interested in helping to make this happen? We are looking for 1 or 2 people to work with me on it. This would be a co-opted role (i.e. you would not be on the committee but report into it via the head coach i..e me). You will need to be:
- a self starter - you will be leading on making this happen. It's a pretty blank canvas so it's up to us (with committee approval) to decide what it looks like.
- have quite a lot of free time - we haven't got long to pull this together so we'll need to get moving on it asap
- happy communicating with a wide variety of groups online and in person - we've got leads into various community groups but we'll need to speak to them (in person/ on the phone), as well as using social media etc to get people interested
Timescales - tbc, will depend on venues and how long it take to get off the ground etc, but if possible it would be good to get the course and race done before August as people disappear then, and we need to incorporate into our work around the Lambeth Country show.
>> Next steps - drop me an email by this Sunday am if you're (potentially) interested, include very quick summary of why you're interested, any prior experience (not essential), time available/ constraints (e.g holidays coming u) and whether you'd be around Sunday afternoon/ eve for a quick chat.